Re: jwz resigns

Author:Angus Davis
Posted:4/2/1999; 11:05:57 AM
Topic:jwz resigns

I don't want to weigh in on the whole jwz/mozilla thing, but I did want to comment on the NPL/MPL/GPL issue. The GPL doesn't really work for commercial participants in an open source project. That's why you don't see IBM, AOL, Corel, Sun, or anyone else actually using the GPL. That's not to say the NPL/MPL is the answer, but rather than the right problem to solve is making the GPL work, not criticizing AOL or anyone else for xyzPL. In fact, xyz public licenses are what enabled Netscape and others to embrace open source while still making money, protecting their patents and protecting other, non-open software products under development that might share some code with the open products.

-- Angus (in a former life, Netscape Product Manager)