Re: jwz resigns

Author:John Brewer
Posted:4/2/1999; 11:08:26 AM
Topic:jwz resigns

Given an initial goal of a release in 6 months time, and the fact that it's a year later and they clearly aren't going to release any time soon, I think it's fair to call the Mozilla project a failure.

Good people aren't afraid to fail. When they fail, they call it as such, and move on. Bad people (or more often, good people in bad organizations) aren't willing to admit failure, and because of this don't learn from their mistakes. I think JWZ should be praised for having the guts to call a spade a spade.

Just because a project is a failure doesn't mean that no good will come of it. The Green Project at Sun was a complete failure in all of its stated goals, but it did lead to Java. Similarly, the GNU project failed to produce an OS (its stated goal), but provided the infrastructure that made Linux possible. Mozilla can have just as powerful a legacy. We just need to decide what it will be, and how to get there. The one clear thing is that the way to get there isn't to keep doing what they've been doing for the past year.