Re: jwz resigns

Author:Kurt Granroth
Posted:4/2/1999; 8:38:29 PM
Topic:jwz resigns

But it is curious how Gnome can start from nothing and get 300 developers and Mozilla can start with bad code, throw it out, and essentially start from scratch yet only get 30.

This makes it sound like Gnome is one shippable software product like Mozilla. It's not. Gnome is a collection of completely seperate objects.

This separation not only is good for rapid development, but it is good for allowing people to feel ownership of their "own" code. No one piece of Gnome has a substantial number of people working on it.

I don't know the numbers of Gnome, but I do know that the "biggest" project (by number of people) on KDE is the Konqueror/KHTML parts.. and it has maybe 10 "full-time" and 30 or so occasional developers. This really isn't all that much.

I think the lure of freshmeat is too much for Mozilla to ever attract a big developer base. When Joe Developer puts out GFoo or KBar, their name and app gets plastered over the web. Nobody but their friends will know that they worked on Mozilla -- that's a Netscape project.