Re: jwz resigns

Author:Kurt Granroth
Posted:4/2/1999; 8:30:17 PM
Topic:jwz resigns

Miguel has run two or three major projects before Gnome (including Midnight Commander and the Sparc port of Linux), and he's never had trouble finding gadzillions of developers. Alan Cox has also led multiple, successful projects. If I were concerned about a shortage of contributors, I'd ask those two what I was doing wrong. And I'd ask them to be honest.

I don't think Miquel or Alan had much to do with the "gadzillions" of developers on their respective projects. They just happened to head up some pretty interesting projects! They key isn't the people, it's what is being worked on.

Case in point: the KDE project does not have any one charismatic leader -- yet there are between 200 and 900 developers (depending on how you count a "developer") working on their little piece.

I think that GNOME and the Linux kernal operate in much the same way. All three projects are very modular, giving individual people a chance to shine on their "own" part of the code.

The Mozilla effort always seemed like a "Netscape" thing. Even if I contributed code to it, it would still feel like I was donating it to Netscape -- not to the Open Source community.