Re: link to binary...

Author:Michael Zajac
Posted:4/4/1999; 12:49:21 PM
Topic:link to binary...

I would like the option of importing the actual binary into the ODB, or alternatively, creating a placeholder for very large files which remain on disk. I guess the placeholder would be an outline or a table that has pointers to the file on disk, as well as file type, pixel dimensions and any other relevent info. Perhaps the binary data is an optional item in the placeholder table.

The placeholder should accomodate enough info to use in macros which make a direct download link to the binary, or make an EMBED or OBJECT tag. If the info is flexible enough, I could write my own scripts and macros to import or embed new types of binaries, but remain consistant with Userland's ODB formats.

Hm, is there an XML standard for metadata about binary files? Do we want hooks to Internet Config on a Mac for determining mac creators and mime-types? This could really grow into quite a project. . . .

Writing some code to handle QuickTime VR movies this way is on my own to-do list.