On-Line Technography: Scenarios 2 and 2.5

Author:Bernie DeKoven
Posted:4/4/1999; 10:19:53 PM
Topic:On-Line Technography: Scenarios 2 and 2.5

You get a call from a reporter at ZDNet. She explains that she heard that you were the one who programmed the on-line technography capability into Frontier. She’s very excited about your contribution because it lead to a revolution in journalism, and she desperately wants to interview you to learn more about your genius.

You ask her to call you back in a couple hours. In the mean time, she’ll send you an e-mail, confirming the interview time and giving you the URL for your meeting.

She calls. You answer. You click on the URL and find yourself on the web, on a Frontier-like page with a 36-point banner reading: Code Warrior Fights for New Journalism.”

“So,” she says, “what inspired you?”

“Well,” you respond, modestly, “it wasn’t really my idea in the first place. I read about it on the Frontier Discussion Group.”

As you speak, you see a new subheader appear on the Webpage: “Gets inspiration from on-line Discussion Group”

“Yes,” you comment, “that’s correct.”

“And,” she adds, “did you realize that it would have such a revolutionary impact on the practice of journalism?”

“Actually,” you answer, “I really was thinking more about Emergency Response teams.”

On the screen you see: “Launch of New Journalism, says Code Warrior, begins with Emergency Response teams”

“Wait a minute,” you say, “it wasn’t Emergency Response Teams, it was my realization that Frontier could serve as a tool for keeping them informed and helping them coordinate tasks.”

“Oh. I think I’ve got it.” Says the interviewer. On the screen you see “The launch of New Journalism, says Code Warrior, began with a new technology for supporting Emergency Response teams.”

“Yeah,” you say, “that’s much better. Isn’t this a great way to work?”

“What do you mean?” asks the journalist.

“I feel like we’re working together on this article. It’s not just you interviewing me. It’s us creating an article, together. I like how I can see myself being heard. I like how I can make sure that you’re taking my words and putting them in the best light. I like how we’re on the same side.”

“That’s a good quote,” says the journalist. “Let me get it”

On the screen: “The idea of New Journalism,” explains the Digital Prophet, “is that it keeps everyone on the same side – the person being interviewed gets to see how he’s being heard.”

“Yeah, and gets to make sure he’s being heard right.”

“, and gets to make sure he’s being heard right.”