Re: Multiplatform WebEdit setup

Author:Christian Huldt
Posted:4/7/1999; 2:19:58 PM
Topic:Multiplatform WebEdit setup

I think that a rather cool way of handling this would be to have the character set as an attribut:

in web pages, discussion group messeges et al.

The main reason is that I'mcurrently setting up a Frontier 6 server for the Language Learning Resource Center at Stockholm university, and as it runs on a mac I found a little problem: the discussion group messages are written in web browsers, usually set to iso8859-1, and hence stored as that on the server. That's allright, esp. for later editing, but when they are rendered the translation is wrong, as the mac server uses string.iso8859encode(subject,@html.data.iso8859.mac) rather than string.iso8859encode(subject,@html.data.iso8859.win) which would work...

Now, the subject is the Language Learning Resource Center, which is using at least 11 different languages including Japanese and Chinese...

I know that they would love to post messages in all the different languages, but I'll probably just whack some translations in to make Swedish work, but adding a character-set attribute would be something to build on for the future...