Re: Different Nirvana Membership Pages

Author:John Simms
Posted:4/18/1999; 11:52:48 AM
Topic:Different Nirvana Membership Pages

I was asked what all the implications of this are, and why anyone would even care if it worked. Try this: go to discuss.userland.com, and logoff. This ensures you don't have any cookies.

Go back to discuss, and reload. Now we're going to pretend we're back. So login. After you successfully login, you're presented with a list of sites to go see, at this point, you can jump back to the discussion group.

Now, suppose I know people loging in are using the discussion group. It's a hassle for that intermediate page to be there. I want them to login, and discuss. That's that. However, the way mainResponder currently works, it makes it impossible to do this. When we click the login button to submit our mailaddress/password combo, mainResponder checks to see if they match. If they match, it serves up the apropriate page. However, when serving this page, mainResponder doesn't have two critical values defined: adrMemberInfo and memberGroupName. Eventhough we know who it is, the cookie hasn't been sent to the client and come back to us. Those two values are defined only when the cookie recieved. So, that intermediate page gets served up and mainResponder doesn't really know who it's serving it to, but it sets the apropriate cookie.

When you click the subsiquent link to the discussion group, the cookie get's sent in, and mainResponder knows who you are. Everything works according to plan.

The change involves seting those two values in pta after we decide the mailaddress/password combo check out and we send the cookie back.

Why is this helpfull? Well, it lets you create your own forms that jump to anypage you desire. Yet, you still get the full benefits of mainResponder membership and authentication.

I hope that clears things up. When the fix gets put back in, download the demo roots linked by the discussion group message. I think it's a good example of setting up your own login pages.