Re: Technographic Thoughts

Author:Oliver Wrede
Posted:4/21/1999; 11:32:04 AM
Topic:Technographic Thoughts

Bernie, I guess many of us here are too busy to dive into the technical details and to make some prototypes. This might change. Especially when people have ploughed through all the new stuff of Frontier 6.0 (which I think has become VERY complex and even harder to learn for beginners!)

Anyway, thinking about prototyping I found a new fancy feature (oh God I guess this is not going to end 'til I die) from Microsoft, which was released for the Windows platform: Remote scripting. This might help in elegantly provide a speedy interaction between server and client. I didn't check this out more closely, yet, but it seems to need an Internet Information Server (but maybe this could be replaced by Frontier in this case???)

Here's what it is about:

"[...] Overview

With remote scripting, developers can now create seamless, interactive Web applications in which the browser can call scripts on the server without reloading the Web page.

Prior to remote scripting, developers would have to require the user to reload the calling page, often several times, to interact with the server. This created a slower, disjointed, user experience and inefficient use of the server.

Remote scripting allows for a much more client/server-type interaction between the browser and the Web server. For example, when filling out a form on a Web page, the user must often reload the entire page several times in order for the application to validate the entries. With remote scripting, the Web application can now validate data while the user is still filling out the rest of the form, without having to reload the page. Specifically, the script must first identify a server page to connect to, then transmit the call to the server. Any return value from the call is transmitted back to the originating script. [...]"

Oliver