Suggestion for improving MailToTheFuture

Author:Mike Richardson
Posted:4/27/1999; 2:04:06 PM
Topic:Suggestion for improving MailToTheFuture

I recently upgraded my cellphone, which now has lots of swell new features, including the ability to receive short e-mail messages.

For me, one of the coolest uses of MailToTheFuture would be to have it send reminder messages directly to my cellular phone. While I do spend a fair amount of time at my desktop machine, I carry my cellphone everywhere, and even use it as my pager now.

I have tested this idea with a similar reminder service at http://www.arsdigita.com/remindme/, and it works really, really well -- well enough that I have become instantly addicted to it.

However, when I tried the same experiment with MailToTheFuture, the message never made it through. The reason? My cellphone can only receive messages up to 120 characters in length. The MTTF message I received looked like this:

Mail to the Future message from mrich@u.washington.edu created on 4/27/99.

Evergreen meeting - Weds 4/28/99 - 8:30 am

For more information see http://www.mailtothefuture.com/.

The message buffer was completely filled by the header and decorative dashes, and the actual reminder message about my meeting never got through to me.

So, my suggestion is to put the header stuff at the end of the message, and to keep the initial 120 characters free for the message itself.

The arsdigita site mentioned above works fine, but I'd love to be able to do the same thing in Frontier, instead.

Cheers,

Mike Richardson