DNS problems

Author:Brent Simmons
Posted:4/29/1999; 10:07:10 PM
Topic:DNS problems

I've been trying to figure out why DNS for userland.com isn't working.

The problem is that most people can't resolve any userland.com addresses: the DNS system seems to think that userland.com is a non-existant domain.

The details:

Our ISP, conxion.net, hosts our DNS on three nameservers: ns1.conxion.net is primary, and ns3 and ns4 are secondaries.

It appears to me -- and the tools I've used -- that the DNS is configured properly on their nameservers. (Outside of nit-picky things, that is. Some people might prefer to CNAMEs to all those A records, that kind of thing.)

It's the same set-up as for scripting.com, scriptingnews.com, and so on -- which are all working fine.

userland.com is registered, of course, and you can do a whois and see that the record is as it should be, it lists Conxion's nameservers.

I called InterNIC -- they assure me that their records are fine, the root servers are returning the correct information.

The people at Conxion are trying to track down the problem, but the problem started yesterday, and it's still going on.

I've read a lot about DNS, sent email to various places (Ask Mr. DNS and similar), come up with lots of theories, but I still don't know what the problem is.

If there are any DNS experts or admins who can lend a hand, who can help figure out what's wrong and how to fix it, we'd all appreciate it.