Re: Releasing myUserLand.root

Author:DOA
Posted:5/1/1999; 9:03:52 PM
Topic:Releasing myUserLand.root

Conversely if no one else gets into what you're doing in the Scalable Content sphere then we will be "without an installed base of broadband systems, there will never be Interactive TV, and broadband content will not be possible, and thereby there will never be a profitable 'Interactive Content business.'"

I'm not a techie but assume that this statement... "By communicating with XML-RPC we structure our code in such a way that it's easy to turn it into UI objects." is deeply intertwined with ... "More often than not, the interface to these tools will be wizards, templates and web pages - which step developers through a myriad set of choices, possibilities and presets. The job of the 'tool provider' will be to develop those choices, script those templates and design those web pages."

Unfortunately I nor anyone else is able to answer the question whether the "conversation" about this development "space" for tools between interested parties that a sample of your code could start, will be more valuable to you in the long run, than the current "structure equals UI" code you may have to release in order to kick start the conversation.

It's always easy for us on the sidelines to say "yeah, release the code" because we want to play with some of these tools (at little or no cost to ourselves). Maybe Dave's gentle suggestion to "trust the universe" and release only a small app that doesn't give away too many of your "structuring" secrets is the way to go.

Isn't it always "fun" to have people like him on your case.