Re: I do my part to help the Mac

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:5/3/1999; 8:30:50 AM
Topic:Linux' wide open spaces

I've got an NT machine and a Mac on my desk, I can't help but feel like my productivity just drains when I use the NT machine.

I used to feel that way too. But once Frontier was ported to Windows I made the transition in a couple of weeks. Windows seemed slightly strange for probably four or five months, but the strangeness felt nice. I tell my friends who use Windows that I use it as if it were a Mac. It's so true!

I guess I had to get fed up with all the BS in the world around the Mac (the loser thing). Every bit of unfamiliarity was a reminder that I was escaping that. If I could be a winner by switching to NT, then switching was a good thing to do, even though it meant giving up MORE. As a writer, that was a big thing. MORE was my writing environment. But there's a silver lining. Now Frontier has a wrapping headlines outliner, runs on Mac and Windows, so my writing environment is now on Windows, and you all get the benefit of that too because the Frontier 6 outliner has it tooo.

Of course right around the time I was being liberated by Windows "Linux" started to be the place the winners were. Just like the Macarena, I tend to be stubborn about making the move until it's the last moment. When I bought my copy the clerk at the record store said "Now you can be the last person on your block to get the Macarena." Hey the one time I was just in time was the Mac in 1984. At that time my stubborn streak paid off, we stuck with the Mac thru 1985 which was a very rough year, and in 1986 whent he Mac boomed, we were there. Those were the good days I remember. For two years, for me, the Mac was MagicLand. But I got even more stubborn, and remained a Mac user even when it hurt to be one.

BTW, I'm not claiming that there are any universal truths here, we all have our threshhold of pain, some people even like fighting the "impossible" fight.