Re: I do my part to help the Mac

Author:Clay Hughes
Posted:5/3/1999; 7:07:48 PM
Topic:Linux' wide open spaces

I find something missing in this logic. It is not about winners or losers, and it's definitely not about fighting the "impossible" fight.

I am working at a school district and every computer is a Mac. Actually, we have several hundred new Macs on order. I would like the teachers, the staff, everybody to start using Frontier. There is so much that can be done with Frontier. But, what if everybody had to make the switch to Windows if they wanted to use Frontier? The learning curve for Frontier is steep enough even if there is someone who can set everything up. But, add to this the cognitive overload of having to learn a new OS on top of that and it is simply too much. Also, the users are first and foremost educators. Maybe these users are not the target market for Frontier, but once a few get going with it, I would bet money that many more would be using Frontier.

On the other hand, I have run into situations where I have been told up front that because of an existing technology agreement with company XXX, they (the client) can only use XXX products. End of story. I explained that Frontier is simply fantastic, development is faster, use of Frontier for content management, everything, and sure beats the pants off of FrontPage. (Opps!) Not that I wanted to work on Windows anyway.

Clay Hughes, Kansas City