Why is sorting tables limited?

Author:erik
Posted:5/3/1999; 10:47:40 AM
Topic:Why is sorting tables limited?

I'd like to have a table with the "Name" column having a clock.now() value stored at the moment of the table entry's creation, and the "Value" column being a news item. When I store clock.now() values in the name column, they don't sort the way I expect. Rather than sorting on the number of seconds since 1904, they seem to sort on the ASCII values of the M/D/YY; HH:MM:SS ?M format, which does not put them in time order because the individual date fields are not hierarchically ordered. Also, I can't change the descending order of the sort to ascending.

The reason I prefer to store a real time value and not a heirarchical string representation of the date is that I need to do date math later on and don't want to incur the overhead of a lot of string to date conversions.

Any ideas?