Violence && America

Author:Rick Eames

I've done a bunch of talking about this in the past week, and I think, for me, the answer is that things like Littleton are a natural consequence of freedom. As the boundaries of "Acceptable" have moved in this country, there are naturally going to be those around us who cannot handle it. It's as if they have no "control chip" to keep them from pushing the limits. Some go off the deep end sexually, some with drugs, and some can't self-regulate their anger.

This has happened before. The Old West was a self-regulating society with very few rules. Some were able to handle it, others, such as Billy the Kid, couldn't and violence ensued.

So, are TV, movies, music, video games to blame? No. They are, however, examples of how the boundaries of "Acceptable" have moved today. And Littleton's will continue to happen because of it.

Rick