Re: Recording Industry and MP3s

Author:Dennis Peterson
Posted:5/5/1999; 8:21:50 AM
Topic:Recording Industry and MP3s

The change could be even more radical. Most musicians don't get paid all that well by the record companies. If I were a musician starting out I wouldn't even bother trying to get a recording contract. I'd distribute my work as widely as possible using MP3, without trying to charge for it at all, and make money the same way most musicians do: live performance. The recorded music becomes in effect an advertisement for the live shows. It worked for the Grateful Dead, the most financially successful band in history I think, and unlike the rest they encouraged their fans to make bootleg concert recordings.

It puts the record companies out of business, but I'm starting to think that in the long run, any business model based on restricting access to bits is doomed.