Re: Recording Industry and MP3s

Author:Keola Donaghy
Posted:5/5/1999; 10:52:54 AM
Topic:Recording Industry and MP3s

Its not only the music industry that has its head in the sand (or in some other dark place whose name is not suitable for the DG), but the music software industry, too.

Companies that produce MIDI and digital audio software are one of the groups still using various copy protection schemes, dongles, and copy counters on their products. I purchased a Blue G3 and Digidesign ProTools to do an audio digitizing project, only to find that their floppy copy protection system does not work with the Imation and other USB floppys. I've had $5,000 worth of hardware functioning as a paperweight on my desk for two months while they scamble to figure out how to make their copy protection scheme work.

Crash a hard drive or lose a key disk and they assume you want to give a copy to your friend. Its sometimes taken me months to get a replacement disk, sometime its just better to wait for the upgrade.

It seems that the industry motto is "assume your customer is a crook".