Re: The need for the 2nd amendment

Author:Stan Purington

Would it be fair to say that the Kosovo rebels have found that possessing light armaments did not protect them much against the tanks, planes, and heavy armament of a truly malevolent government?

While it sounds good in theory that we can protect ourselves from a despotic government, how would those weapons stand up against the US Military.

Wouldn't a more successful method of protecting our democracy be to make sure more people participate in it?

Can you envision any single power center being able to control the military in our system, considering the checks and balances currently in place, especially where the military itself is basically non-political? I think the time to worry is when they stop teaching recruits the proper role of the military relative to the civilian government.