Re: The need for the 2nd amendment

Author:Dennis Peterson

The point is to make sure it remains a democracy.

A disarmed populace is fine as long as the government remains benevolent. But power corrupts, right? The American constitution is founded on the idea that governments cannot be trusted. Many of us view the second amendment as a vital "check and balance" that ensures democracy will continue over the long haul.

I tend to think most people in our government right now are well-intentioned. When they try to take away our guns, encryption, or free speech, it's generally for benevolent reasons of law enforcement. What they neglect to consider, is that they are making it easier for future government officials who may not be so well-intentioned. If the road to despotism remains long and difficult, it will be a less tempting road to take.

So while none of us (other than a few whackos) are planning any kind of armed revolution, we do feel much more comfortable having a reasonable balance of power between the government and the governed.