Re: The need for the 2nd amendment

Author:Nic Sch

>So here's my question: by what right can the United States >disarm the citizens that created it? This isn't a rhetorical >question, I'm honestly curious.

Well, the only democratic way to do this would of course be to let the citizens vote about it. If the majority decides to disarm the citizens, then so be it. In the case of the 2nd amendment, since it is part of the constitution it might require more to change it. I don't know the rules for changing the US constitution.

One could argue that this is sort of a dictatorship as well. (I mean, the same argument can be used to justify that 51% of the population can kill the other 49%)

But the point is that the country can do whatever the majority of the citizens want. That's the point of a democracy, isn't it?

Democracy isn't perfect, but it's the best we got.

/ Niclas