Re: Designing Accessible Websites

Author:Sean Lindsay
Posted:5/7/1999; 11:34:53 PM
Topic:Designing Accessible Websites

That's a strange position. Even if there was another problem that came along and made the world a fucked up place for someone, we'd still have made all the websites accessible to everyone.

I don't believe I was advocating that Frontier designers should all become accessibility evangelists. It's a cause to me, sure, but to the typical web designer I don't believe it needs to be more significant than knowing the rendering bugs in old versions of Netscape Navigator. If designers believe it's okay to disregard the needs of Netscape 2 users, and ignore a potential customer base, that's up to them. But they're definitely imposing their values on those users.

And let's face it - if the lead designer of a successful web publishing software company is not aware of the problem, then a typical bureaucrat using MSWord to prepare web content isn't going to have a clue.

There aren't a lot of people in the world who can have a direct influence on the encryption logjam. But every web designer can spend some time ensuring their site is accessible.

And with Frontier, you only have to do it once.