Ad blocking

Author:Phillip Karlsson
Posted:5/8/1999; 8:20:32 AM
Topic:Check your pages in iCab...

I am finding that iCab has become my primary browser for a single reason. It blocks ads.

I run a small site with a friend of mine. He draws a comic strip 5 days of the week, we both write columns on a pseudo-monthly basis, and I write Perl scripts to run our "content management system"..or lack thereof.

We have ads on our site to prevent us from having to shell out all of the hundreds of dollars we pay every month in bandwidth charges to our provider, for what is, essentially, a hobby.

My opinion is that if the ads on a site are so obtrusive that you can't use the site, then don't. It's a valid way to express your opinion. On the other hand, if you're going to tax the owner's resources, whether that's small fry like me and a friend, or C-Net who can probably spare a tad more change than us, then don't block the ads. If you like a site enough to visit it (especially on a regular basis), then the least you can do is show your appreciation by letting the owners get a tenth or a cent or so from your visit.

Of course, that's just my $0.02 as someone who's paying more than that a month for the adulation from being a character in an on-line strip. :)