Re: The need for the 2nd amendment

Author:Dave Polaschek

I tend to think most people in our government right now are well-intentioned. When they try to take away our guns, encryption, or free speech, it's generally for benevolent reasons of law enforcement. What they neglect to consider, is that they are making it easier for future government officials who may not be so well-intentioned. If the road to despotism remains long and difficult, it will be a less tempting road to take.

I was reading The Electronic Privacy Papers last night (ISBN 0-471-12297-1), and found a quote that I think applies.

Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficient. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberties by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.

The quote is by Justice Brandeis in his dissent in Olmstead et al. v. United States (277 US 438) which was decided on June 4, 1928. This was the case that made wire-taps of phone lines permissible. In the rest of the dissent, Justice Brandeis points out that tapping of phones is an insidious breach of the fourth amendment.

I'm tempted to go on longer, but I can't find words as clear or powerful as those of Justice Brandeis.

-DaveP