Re: What is Windows CE?

Author:Mike Murry
Posted:5/9/1999; 12:06:50 PM
Topic:What is Windows CE?

Is anyone doing development with Windows CE? If so, what is it?

My company did some work for a client that was WinCE based. I wasn't heavily involved, so I don't know a lot of the details. The application itself was a Director app, and if remember correctly there was a browser on the PDA. You can be sure that if it doesn't already, Windows CE will run a pared done version of IE5.

Why aren't STB's just PCs?

I think that the average consumer is still a little intimidated by the thought of having a PC to control their TVs. The STB is a computer, but it doesn't look or work like a traditional one. People want to be able to do everything with just a remote. Think of all the people who still don't know how to program a VCR. These are the people they're aiming STBs at.