Re: What is Windows CE?

Author:dhale@pobox.com
Posted:5/9/1999; 2:16:44 PM
Topic:What is Windows CE?

I'm not an expert, but as far as I know, Windows CE is a small, diskless, preemptive, multithreaded OS that you program using a subset of the Win32 API. It's not NT and it's not DOS and it's not Win95/98. Some APIs aren't supported (like the disk filesystem stuff) and some new ones are (like the database filesystem). All of the interface is contained inside the GDI, which is itself totally optional. You can use any interface you want -- touch-screen, CLI, chiclet buttons, ropes and pulleys, abacus -- but you have to write it yourself. The usual Internet protocols are there. Verson 1.0 didn't have any multimedia, but it's pretty clear that they've changed that.

"Why aren't STBs just PCs?" I don't know. Why aren't Palm Pilots PCs? Is it that they lack a disk OS?

Why aren't PCs "devices"?