Re: My 2 cents (was: Record Ind. & MP3)

Author:Jacob Savin
Posted:5/10/1999; 11:45:50 AM
Topic:Recording Industry and MP3s

Ha! It's so funny that you say this. (BTW, I just read today's DaveNet.) I'm discovering the hero myth myself now in the software industry, or at least at my company. I'm starting to become more satisfied with the idea that I can just do what I do, do it well, try not to take too much sh*t when I screw something up, and live with the money they pay me.

I still love to play and listen to music. I live in a funky little neighborhood in San Francisco called Bernal Heights, and there's an absolutely hoppin' music scene here on the hill. I can think of at least four working blues, R&B, and funk bands off the top of my head, who all live in the neighborhood, playing at the local pubs. They have a very strong sense of teamwork, all helping each other, trading players when someone can't make a gig, letting people sit in during Friday and Saturday night shows (which most bands won't do). In fact, when I moved here, I was sort of hiding out in my bedroom with my bass, not intending to ever join another band, but satisfied to just keep going to jam sessions and doing the occasional one-off. Then here on Bernal hill, after having become a part of this team of local musicians (loosely defined), I was enrolled to join a funk and blues band. Some of our music is up on the net too, but the server is not super reliable.

Anyway, it's always funny to me how people who are serious about their careers (again, loosely defined), have many common feelings about their work. If you're interested, my mom is an M.D., a professor, and a researcher, who gets lots of attention in her field. While I was touring in Europe, we had many conversations about how similar what she was doing, and what I was doing, really were. And now, I'm coming full circle again...

-Jake