Re: Dreams or Teams

Author:Lindon Parker
Posted:5/10/1999; 6:26:23 PM
Topic:Dreams or Teams

We've been thinking here about alternatives to the usual cycle of good idea->small team->venture capital->bigger team-> success!/failure... Mainly because our Capital Gains Tax makes VC's a rare beast to even sight here in Australia. So the above "Silicon Valley" model isn''t really open to us.

Thus we have no shortage of idea's (like Dave's friend), but we can't get funding. Our proposed solution is to patent each idea, then sell the patent on eBay for a fixed sum and a % of revenue. This turns us into "an idea's company" in it's rawest form. Succesful patent buyers can on-sell the patent, or add it to their own product suite, or put together a team to make the patented idea into a product.

This appeals because: 1. The thing we are best at is idea's 2. The idea has a better chance of success in the US arena (and we want our idea's to work, just because it makes us feel good) and 3. We don't actually have to "do it".

Spot the lazy/conservative element.