Re: scriptingNews outline for 5/11/99

Author:Bruce Hoult

I am now officially no longer a Linux virgin. I have Red Hat 6.0 running on 206.204.24.10. The installation wasn't that bad. Now to read more docs and figure out how to browse the file system and get some real web pages up.

Well there's the tradional Unix way:

"emacs ." will bring up a listing of the current directory. Use the arrow keys to go up/down the list, hit to open directories or files. Use "C-x k return' (C-x means control-x) to close a file or directory (each is opened in a seperate editing buffer). Use "^" to go up a directory level. "h" will give you help.

The other way is to set up Samba or NetAtalk and browse from a client machine with a real user interface :-) Or of that's too big a step right now, use Anarchie to browse the files system from a Mac using ftp.

But "direedit" mode in emacs is pretty fast and efficient.