New preferences interface

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:5/13/1999; 6:28:44 PM
Topic:New preferences interface

Here's an improvement to prefs.userland.com coming soon.

http://nirvana.userland.com/prefs/prefsSite

It should work for your preferences. Please give it a try..

There are several advantages to this way of doing things:

1. The preferences are separated in a wizard-like way, so we can add more preferences in different categories.

2. It's smarter about booleans, you no longer have to type "yes" or "no", we now use radio buttons.

3. The nicest thing about it is that the whole site is edited thru a single outline formatted in XML. The code is factored and reusable. Because it's XML it could be rendered in different ways if a better UI environment comes along.

We'll be releasing source code for this when it's done.