How to respond with dignity?

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:5/14/1999; 7:17:04 AM
Topic:How to respond with dignity?

Microsoft doesn't like Linux very much. Still, they want the "Linux community" to show up for some benchmarks.

Clearly, Microsoft has been working hard on NT and IIS. By any standard, their numbers on these recent benchmarks are quite respectable. They should be justifiably proud of their accomplishments; these products have come a long way in a short time.

I also know, from previous ZDNet and private tests, that NT and Linux both win some benchmarks. NT & IIS seem to be really good on SpecWeb, for example, whereas Apache has problems with this benchmark on any platform. On the other hand, Linux & Samba can easily beat NT when serving files to other NT boxes. (Strangely enough, NT wins handily when serving to Windows 98 machines.)

So, I have a couple of questions for the folks around here. Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that Linux wins some benchmarks and looses others. Let's also assume that ZDNet is neutral territory. (This seems quite likely.)

What's the dignified and appropriate way for Linus, RedHat and friends to respond to this challenge? Should they show up, win a few, loose a few and place their trust in the process? Should they respectfully decline, and spend their time improving Linux?

We're new to this game. We don't know the rules.

And some questions for web masters: Do SpecWeb results matter to you? Apache was tuned for a different kind of serving, but the Linux kernel could lend a hand and help Apache compete on SpecWeb. If your servers look like the ones in the SpecWeb tests, please say so. The kernel developers tend to more interested in real users than they are in benchmarks, so your voices carry more weight than ZDNet's.

Mind you, the kernel developers do like benchmarks--it gives them a target to meet. But it's important to know which benchmarks matter to actual users.

Cheers, Eric