Re: Portals Mail List

Author:Keola Donaghy
Posted:5/14/1999; 12:50:43 PM
Topic:Portals Mail List

Aloha kakou, I'm on the portals list and downloaded myFrontier.root, but haven't had a chance to dig into it. I have gotten MailToTheFuture working and functioning in Hawaiian successfully.

All of my work in Frontier revolves around two issues:

1. Hawaiian language (my job)
2. Hawaiian music and culture (hobbies and passions).

The portal I'm planning is going to revolve around these issues. Nothing for sale, nothing watered down or prostituted for tourists. Just the language, culture and people as they really are. I do this to some degree already with my office website (http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu) and my hobby site (http://www.nahenahe.net) - both Frontier managed and/or served - but want to use this portal project to pull these two and others together.

Unfortunately the web (and therefore Frontier) occupy perhaps 10% of my worktime, and I never seem to be able to keep up with what UserLand and the Frontier community are doing. But somehow I seem to get dragged along by the current and often find I'm much further along than I think.

One Frontier project I've started and will share when it bears fruit is to automate weather data retrieval from the National Weather Service (available only as grungy text right now), clean it it, store in the ODB, and serve it dynamically as XML. I've got this working for Hawai'i data, I will be looking this weekend if the text formats are uniform nationwide so others could do the same for their portals. Will post again when I have someting ready to share.

Aloha,

Keola