MP3 and Record companies

Author:Lixian B. Chiu
Posted:5/14/1999; 12:58:23 PM
Topic:MP3 and Record companies

I am not very familiar with the music industry, but I think what they should do is to start selling legal music in MP3 for a very cheap price. Selling directly to the consumers cut a lot of costs (like cutting a CD, dealer cost ...), and can open new revenue channel (in the simplest form, the ad banners), so they should be able to offer a deep discount.

Unlike what these companies think, finding illegal MP3 is not an easy task for many internet users. These users will be willing to pay a slight price if there is a official and legal channel to buy music online (given that it will be cheaper than to buy CDs). The key is, they need to do it fast, because eventually these people will find their ways to obtain illegal MP3s, and once they found it and get used to it, it will be very difficult to pull them back.