Re: PPCs can't WINE...

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:5/14/1999; 1:02:20 PM
Topic:Linux' wide open spaces

There isn't a way to run MacOS apps on PPC Linux that I know of, but with SheepShaver you can theoretically run MacOS in a window on PPC Linux, and then you could run Frontier under that.

Like SheepShaver, but GPL'd:

http://www.ibrium.se/linux/mac_on_linux.html

Given a copy of the Mac ROMs and a recent version of the MacOS, you should be able to get your Macintosh software running under LinuxPPC. (You may see a 5% performance loss.)

It's probably got a few problems still, of course. But I bet it's a fun way to spend a rainy afternoon. The Mac ROMs seem especially ammenable to being run on a virtual Mac; somebody at Apple must have kept their code clean.

Cheers, Eric