Re: Hint to Apple

Author:Wesley Felter
Posted:5/15/1999; 10:49:40 AM
Topic:Hint to Apple

Personally, I don't think it matters very much which Unix codebase Apple is using. What matters to me is that they got rid of the Unix philosophy, with its arcane filesystem layout and kludgey X server (among other things).

However great the various Open Source benevolent dictators may be, many of them are hard-core Unix people, and it's very difficult to get along with them if you don't like Unix. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the Unix philosophy, but I just don't want it. It might be interesting to see what the Linux community's response would be to a non-Unix-like OS based on Linux; that would be a real test of maturity IMO.

For device drivers, I like the idea of having backwards binary compatibility. I like the idea of being able to install drivers without having to compile anything. Any OS that doesn't provide that is going to annoy me.