Re: Linux has Kernel Modules...

Author:Eric Kidd
Posted:5/16/1999; 10:45:30 AM
Topic:Hint to Apple

It's my understanding, though, that Linus will not guarantee binary compatibility of kernel modules from release to release, and that binary-only kernel modules are only "tolerated" rather than accepted.

I'm doing some research here. I need to find out the official policies of all the parties involved (and get some historical information on kernel module compatibility) before I make a damn fool of myself. Stay tuned.

It looks like the AFS drivers stick their fingers very far into the kernel (they touch the file system, the networking stack and a lot of other things), and that Linus' temper reached its boiling point on this subject long ago. He apparently feels that the AFS code has been chaining his hands for a long time, and he's gotten a bit angry about it on an occasion. Unfortunately, MIT and CMU need to run AFS for Linux; this fact can't be changed.

I'll tell you more about how this situation has been playing out, and provide some juicy links. Not all of the details are entirely flattering for the Linux community, to say the least.

Cheers, Eric