Re: It's just storage

Author:Bruce Hoult
Posted:5/16/1999; 8:56:09 PM
Topic:Source release of Prefs.UserLand.Com

That's interesting, but I wonder whether it's better to store the prefs data in a database instead of the file system. I never considered actually storing the user's data in separate files. Maybe they have a very fast file system and a very fast XML parser.

Well, this is Unix. Even if it looks like separate files -- maybe /var/xyzzy/userprefs/bruce, /var/xyzzy/userprefs/dave etc, all you have to do is write a suitable driver, mount a fake filesystem on /var/xyzzy/userprefs and the actual files could be stored in any sort of database you want. As long as the driver responds to the right protocols nothing else will care. It's just an optomisation. The namespace stays the same.