Re: Portals Mail List

Author:Dori Smith
Posted:5/16/1999; 5:34:32 PM
Topic:Portals Mail List

I think for JavaScript development tools you have to look to the browser vendors.

I don't want to have to have development tools from MS for MS apps, and Netscape for Netscape apps, and Adobe for their JavaScript-able apps, and Macromedia etc., I'd like to just have one environment that could produce code for all of them. Given the way that JavaScript is growing in popularity outside the browser, I find it hard to understand why someone hasn't done this.

In my perfect world, I'd have a tool that understands what's scriptable in Dreamweaver or ImageReady (or Office, or...) and be able to create syntax-checked scripts that can work with that app. Sounds similar to what Frontier does on the Mac now, which is why I automatically think of Frontier as a promising candidate.

But thinking of JavaScript as limited to web page scripting is just the tip of the iceberg. Given the way that developers are using JavaScript as a cross-platform internal scripting language for their programs, the future possibilities are tremendous.

And while I don't doubt for a second that the line for Perl inside Frontier is lengthy, there are already tools for writing Perl, aren't there? Given that there's probably 10-20 JavaScript scripters for every Perl scripter, and no JavaScript development tools, I think that there's a lot of people who want to buy one, many of whom have never (yet) heard of Frontier.

Sorry, Dave, it's all your fault that you've spoiled us rotten, and now we want the moon