Re: Mac OS X, Carbon, Etc.

Author:Greg Pierce
Posted:5/17/1999; 8:03:36 PM
Topic:Mac OS X, Carbon, Etc.

(hey Jim!)

I don't know the behind the scenes details. Apple didn't say anything about it specifically, but I went to the Adobe developer briefing (Tues. night, I think) and Adobe mentioned the connection to Bravo. They also had an Apple rep there to go on about how the companies are working more closely together than ever on several projects.

Apple may have actually built something from scratch on PDF formats, with some assistance from Adobe...but as quick as it came together, I'm thinking there's got to be some Adobe code in there, and that Apple's going to be paying for that in royalties.

"Exploring business models" for Yellow on Windows (the phrase Apple was using) means to me that they've got to figure out how to make back money on it.

As for the feasibility? I'm sure it can be done on Windows, but Bravo wouldn't have any of the windowing/menu type stuff--which would need to be added for Windows...and Apple's already on a pretty pressed schedule to get done what's already on their plate.

There also may be issues with the Core Foundation/Foundation kit alterations that are taking place.

Again...this is speculation. Personally, I'm willing to pay a licensing fee. I'm doing in-house corporate deployment though, not shrink-wrapped apps--so it's not as much an issue.

The cocoa frameworks are just too good, too well designed, and (theoretically) too portable not to reappear on other OS platforms. I think it's just a matter of when and how.

Personally, I can't believe anyone would look through the docs on Cocoa and still want to use Java (the platform, not the language).

My $.02...greg.