Mac OS X, Carbon, Etc.

Author:Greg Pierce
Posted:5/17/1999; 7:53:06 AM
Topic:Mac OS X, Carbon, Etc.

I'm not trying to stir up the muddy water too much...but after returning from Apple's WWDC, I got to admit I'm pretty stoked about some of the things this OS has in store--and I want to express my interest in Frontier moving forward to Carbon compliancy. I say this partial because before I saw some of the progress displayed at the conference, I was a skeptic...but now i'm pretty well sold.

I think there's a lot of synergy in Userland's stated goals and moving here. OS X will be a rock solid deployment platform, that will benefit from some of the other tools in the space, such as WebObjects...as well as the UNIX tools that makes Linux so attractive. Carbon apps will run on OS 8.x+ with the CarbonLib installed--meaning the one code base will be valid across most modern Mac systems.

With Carbon comes the Core Foundation library, which will provide some things Frontier could really take advantage of....XML parsing, and I believe (but am not sure) HTML rendering will be available at the system level.

Naturally, Frontier will also get benefits from the new system in this move also...protected memory space, real virtual memory, fast file system, etc. It will also have benefits that will not be available in a Linux deployment--such as continued OSA application access, and a great UI.

Yes, I know Frontier should run through the blue box. Apple is doing wonderful things with integration of the blue box, but i fear the resource requirements will still make it problematic for server machines.

I don't know the Frontier codebase well enough to know how involved the move to Carbon will be, although for most it is relatively painless...I also know that limited resources are available, and will ultimately be the most weighty factor in making any moves. I'm most understanding of such limitations.

Just take this as one customer's voice. I know I'll be on OS X come next year. I reeeaaaallly hope Frontier will be there with me.

Thanks, greg