Re: Scripting News XML DTD/Parsing Issues

Author:Matt Hamer
Posted:5/18/1999; 10:04:19 AM
Topic:Scripting News XML DTD/Parsing Issues

I'm glad we're talking this out. Let me make it clear that I'm not sure that using CDATA isn't the right answer. I'm just trying to explore all the implications.

Scenario:

If we're lucky, sometime in the near future, browsers will support rendering of XML using XSL. They may also support manipulation of XML in their scripting languages using DOM.

If we agree that the scope of the "scripting news format", , what does this mean if we are actually rendering in the browser (XML is transformed for display using XSL)? Won't the browser just display the literal string of text within the CDATA section? Maybe someone with access to IE 5.0 can give this a try to see what happens? What if my script wants to search for all the