Re: Another delivery system

Author:Philip Suh
Posted:5/18/1999; 9:50:43 AM
Topic:It might be OVER for MP3....

    >> 3. The sound really is CD quality.

    >I guess it depends on your definition of CD quality.
    >MiniDiscs use lossy compression; it's just a different algorithm.

    The latest version of the MD compression scheme( I think it's version 5) is very very close to CD quality. Note that while MD does employ lossy compression--it only removes frequencies that are beyond human hearing range.

    Point being--you're not going to be able to tell the difference between CD and MD.

    Why MD's never caught on in the US is beyond me--they're way way cool, are extremely portable, and don't skip like CD's do.