Re: Enter ADSL...

Author:Bruce Hoult
Posted:5/18/1999; 6:59:40 PM
Topic:It might be OVER for MP3....

Well yes, and no. It's pretty easy to hold a USA-centric view if you're in the USA, but the rest of us out here aint likely to see ADSL commonly in use much before 2002.

rest of the world, where ADSL and cable modems are all way too expensive

Lindon, you should check out IHUG's satellite systems at <http://www.satnet.com.au>. For AU$59/month you get unlimited high speed access to the internet. In some ways it's not *quite* as good as ADSL, but it's much much better than other alternatives in this part of the world. I've had it for several months now, and it's just great!

They advertise it as 400 kbps but it's actually variable. Often you can't get quite that much on a single download, but I regularly get 250 - 300 kpbs, and by doing several downlaods in parallel I've had up to 1480 kpbs in the wee hours.

For those with more money to spend, you can also get committed (guaranteed) bandwidth from the same company, in 64 kbps increments, at about US$500/month per 64 kpbs from the US to Aus/NZ/SE Asia/India/Southern Africa. See <http://www.ihug.net/> and especially <http://www.ihug.net/bandwidth.htm>