Gotta Love Steve!

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:5/18/1999; 7:06:57 PM
Topic:Mac OS X, Carbon, Etc.

I'm wondering what Apple needs to do to get you back on side?

I'm on Apple's side! Damn. I make great software for the Mac. We just got thru making a big new investment in the Mac in Frontier 6. That's where the rubber meets the road, that's what counts in DeveloperLand.

You aren't hearing me. Jobs is predictable. His theme is consistent. Read Doc's piece again, he loves Steve. (Right Doc?)

The simple fact is that Apple always was Steve's company, even when he wasn't there. The force that allowed Apple to survive more than a decade of bad leadership, cluelessness and constant mistakes was the legacy of Steve's original Art. That legacy was not just an OS that was 10 years ahead of the rest of the world, but a Cause that induced a righteousness of purpose centered around a will to innovate -- to perpetuate the original artistic achievements. And in Steve's absence Apple did some righeous innovation too. Eventually, though, the flywheels lost mass and the engine wore out.

I love the way Doc writes! He's so smoooth and so right.

So if you want to invest in Apple, keep your eyes open and learn from history. It's not just the old stuff. He still pulls the rug out, but he does it smoothly, and if you're not watching, you don't see it.

And Jobs has a lonnnng memory! It's as if he's writing a screen play. No floppy on the Next box, and now no floppy on the Mac. Not that I have that much use for a floppy these days, but every time I hear someone complain about the missing floppy I smile. That's my boy Steve! The man with a perfect memory and one who insists on being right. (Not that I'm any different.)

Remember the little dude from Power Computing who fought back for the Mac and then got bought out and shut down? It wasn't that long ago. And now Open Transport is gutted. One step at a time.