Re: Software patents

Author:Chuck Shotton
Posted:5/19/1999; 6:35:11 PM
Topic:Software patents

The first thing to do is to get people to stop using "Patent Pending" as a selling point. It's disgusting.

It would be interesting to know how many people really consider it a "selling point". I stopped viewing it that way some while ago, once I noticed that only the first, cheesy product in a given domain used that phrase and all the subsequent applications in the same space avoided the phrase like the plague. It seems to have evolved into more of a crutch to fend off more capable competition than something that excites the customer base. Most of the patents are so obscure that I'd bet customers could care less at this point.