Distributing Content

Author:David Carter-Tod
Posted:5/21/1999; 1:26:34 PM
Topic:Distributing Content

Has anyone done this? Am I thinking about it the right way?

Problem: I'm part of a large organization with geographically distributed and semi-independent entities. Each entity has it's own web site and creates training materials for employees and customers locally. They occasionally see something at other places in the organization and copy it -- or sometimes they'll pool resources and submit content to one person who agglomerates it in one web site.

This creates specific problems, e.g. when that one person doesn't have time to keep up. Also content isn't re-used around the state efficiently. Also you get a multiplication of interfaces.

Here's what I'm thinking: I want to set up a system where authors contribute content to a central Frontier GDB, and that content gets FTP-ed to various websites around our organization, where it can be included in locally appropriate designs. Web site editors "subscribe" to content and can control templates, etc.

Make sense? It's like distributed authoring, but with the added component of redistribution. Low technical requirements at the authoring, publishing ends.

Or should I be thinking XML, RPC, RSS, dynamic servers, etc.

David