Where will images go in the future?

Author:Tommy Sundström
Posted:5/24/1999; 5:32:28 AM
Topic:Where will images go in the future?

As I've understod it, Userland sees the discussion group as the base to build content management systems on.

Has there been any thought on where images should go?

They can be stored with the accessing code, for example in htmlInterfaces.discussionGroup.["#images"]. This works well for images that is used to build the menu and the page - since different code often requires different images anyhow.
    But in many cases the image is the message (or at least an integral part of it). Then it should not be stored with the interface code, since an alternative interface would not see it.

Or they can be stored with the messages, in discuss.root. This is good for images with 'content', since they often are a part of (or the full) message, and will not change with the accessing code.
    But this is likely to make it harder to reuse the same image for different messages (as we often do with 'pagebuilding/navigation' images).