Re: Edit-This-Page not new

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:5/25/1999; 9:52:20 AM
Topic:"Edit This Page" is not New

What Dave is creating removes the "you have to be a developer to use" aspect of web content creation. It also lowers the granularity of editing to the paragraph(?) level. No need to dig through the code of a large page to find the bit you're editing- just scroll to it in the browser, and hit the button. Now That's Hot. This is going to go a long way to revolutionizing web publishing.

Not the paragraph level. There are Stories and Pictures. Each one is a list. You can create a new one, or edit an existing one. Everything you created has an Edit this Page button. And to the reader it looks like an ordinary website.

BTW, BucksWoodside.Com is a Manila site. The people writing for the site are the furthest things from developers. We picked a challenging first deployment for Manila. Glad we did. It opened my eyes. They needed a lot of opening, I had lots of assumptions that I could lose. When I saw the site thru Jamis's eyes, I saw how it could get simpler, and then I saw how it could get even simpler.

Most of the email I've gotten from Microsoft has been to point me at the WebDAV features in Windows/Office 2000. These are great features, but they are not what I'm talking about.