Re: Edit-This-Page not new

Author:Steve Ivy
Posted:5/25/1999; 10:03:45 AM
Topic:"Edit This Page" is not New

Not the paragraph level. There are Stories and Pictures. Each one is a list. You can create a new one, or edit an existing one. Everything you created has an Edit this Page button. And to the reader it looks like an ordinary website.

Ah... I see. None-the-less, this is coooool.

Some of the xml-based publishing vendors (Poet comes to mind) are developing component-level editing in their systems. It's not nearly as elegant as what you're describing, but it could be an interesting addition to Manila. An interesting UI problem, to be sure; it would be a challenge as well to decide how granular the editing interface should be. I'd like to see things like editing a component, such as a list of links, or news stories, by clicking on an "edit this object" link/button. This could be implemented easily on the rendering side by swapping outline renderers mid-stream. Storing the components in the ODB should be a breeze... someone's just got to hook it together!

While I'm on it, hooking this editing system into the membership system would add the ability to control who can edit which bits of the site- when logged in, the user gets links on each component which they have permission to edit.

I get dizzy thinking of the possibilities!

--Steve