COM question

Author:Christopher Short
Posted:5/27/1999; 3:40:10 PM
Topic:COM question

I'm asking this here because I'm unsure of where would be a more appropriate place, and i know some people doing COM stuff post here.

Why would a COM program written in Visual C++ 5.0 and compiled on a WinNT4.0 machine, run under Win95 and not WinNT4.0 (Server execution error).

The COM program opens Excel, writes data to a worksheet, and plots the data.

The line

WorkbookPtr pBook = ((WorkbooksPtr) pXL->Workbooks())->Add((long)xlWorksheet); gives the error Member not found under WinNT4.0 and Visual C++ 5.0

Where do I find documentation on the syntax of functions available to COM in Visual C++. I currently use the OLE/COM viewer to see what's available, and it says that the Add is available under Workbooks methods for my machine.

Even the Visual C++ sample program COMEXCEL doesn't run under WinNT4.0, but runs under Win95. Visual Basic COM programs run on the WinNT4.0 machine (Service Pack 4). There are documented problems with NT4.0 and VB unless Service Pack 3 is applied.

Any suggestion on either setting up NT4.0, or some coding tricks to get COM working? Are there any newsgroups or mailling lists devoted to general COM quesitons?

Cheers, Christopher